Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

History of Horninglow and Eton

Horninglow village in the late 18th century stood around a green, probably on Tutbury Road which dated back to the 14th century. The oldest surviving house is probably Chestnuts Farm, rebuilt in the early 19th century. By 1818 there were two inns – one possibly on the site of the today’s Plough, the other probably the present New Inn, which also served as a post office. The present Red Lion Inn was first recorded as the Royal Oak in 1848.                                                            

The Plough Inn

A National School was built in 1846, by which time the village had begun to expand along what is now Horninglow Road North. By the 1870s cottages had been built along the road, and a Board School opened in 1876. Larger houses stand on the west of Rolleston Road, the earliest being the Poplars, built in 1868 for John Hopkins, a benefactor of St Johns church. After WWII the house was used by Tutbury R.D.C and became a nursing home in 1992.  

The Calais Road area – Wyggeston Street, Carlton Street and Calais Road itself was built to the south of Horninglow village in the 1880s on land owned by Wyggeston Hospital in Leicester. A Methodist chapel was built at the end of Carlton Street in 1898. Most of Calais Road took the line of Patch Lane, but the north end of the lane was realigned to join the top of Horninglow Road North while the remainder was renamed Dover Road.

The Burton Union workhouse was opened in 1884 in Belvedere Road (formerly Dallow Lane) on the land which houses today’s Queens Hospital. The houses in Belvedere Road date mainly from 1900 to 1910.

In the 1920s Burton corporation built some of its first post-war council houses in Mona Road and by 1927 it had developed a large estate including Long Mead Road, Warwick Street and Rowton Street on the west side of Calais Road. Balfour Street and Craven Street, off the south side of Horninglow Road North almost parallel with the top of Wyggeston Street, were built by a private company in 1900-1 and intended as housing for local artisans. The land between Carlton Street and Craven Street was built up with council houses in the late 1920s and the Corporation sponsored more council houses in Harper Avenue in the mid 1930s.

Over the canal, streets running north off Thornley Street, were built up in the late 1870s/early 1880s and in 1881 a Board School was opened in Goodman Street. Eton Road, was built up in the early 20th century and Coronation Villa, on the corner of Derby Road, is dated 1902. Council houses at the west end date from the mid-1920’s and a large council estate centred on Shakespeare Road and Masefield Crescent was developed in the mid 1950’s.

The Text contained within this page is copyrighted and belongs to Victoria County History.